Monday, March 5, 2012

Elementary, My Dear Watson

I read to my daughter Amy's fourth grade class on Read Across America day and also for Mary Ruth Spencer's class (loved her Cat in the Hat hat!) at Signal Hill Elementary.

I chose part of biography about Amelia Earhart and read the last chapter,  about her last attempt to fly around the world at the equator. Then I taught the class the chorus to a song that was popular right after her disappearance in 1939, "Amelia Earhart's Last Flight" and we sang it together. I was amazed at how well-behaved the kids were and how well they sang.

I also had a chance to watch the teachers and students in action. The kids move through the halls to French or P.E. or lunch and are orderly and quiet. Kudos to the teachers and staff at this school, at any elementary school or any school for that matter for the amazing job they are doing nurturing and instructing the future. All you guys--students, teachers, staff, wherever you are--ROCK THE HOUSE!

I'll be back next year! Thanks!

Here's a link to the original song by "Red River Dave." Enjoy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAvtHMJS1O8

1 comment: