Friday, May 18, 2012

The Continuing No Shame Poem of the Week Series Presents "Sliding Away"

Sliding Away
 

(with apologies to Paul Simon)

When I took the old carpet out
Of our computer room
The wooden floors
Needed protecting
And so I got one of those
Vinyl chair pads
And put it under my office chair.
Now I know that in a house like ours
There are few level floors
Plumb walls or perpendicular surfaces.
It's just in the nature of
Older houses to settle and
Be skewed a bit
Or a lot.
Nonetheless
I was surprised when
I sat in the chair and
Rolled backwards.

Paul Simon, you were right:
"The nearer your destination,
The more you're slip slidin' away!"


--Dan Verner

1 comment:

  1. HAHAHA! Nice! And I like the metaphor of "what's hidden beneath the rugs?" and "what needs protecting?"

    ReplyDelete