Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Technology and Society: Top Ten Movies

I see here that the British magazine, Sight & Sound, has come up with a "Critics' Top 10 Films of All Time" list

I used to fancy myself an auteur in college-took every film course I could, aspired to be a director (very funny, I know), wrote screenplays that never saw the light of day, even made a little three-minute film (in 16mm b&w) that was so bad and so unmemorable I forget what it was about.

Anyhow, I thought I knew something about film, particularly about film history. But this list--I have heard of half of the films listed. I do agree with their choices of the ones I've heard of or seen. See what you think:


10. 8 ½ Saw that in film class. Absolutely no idea what it was supposed to be about.

9. The Passion of Joan of Arc Heard of it. Think it's a silent film.

8. Man with a Movie Camera Duh.

7. The Searchers Yes, yes, yes. John Ford and John Wayne. Wow!

6. 2001: A Space Odyssey For a long time, my favorite film until it was replaced by Forrest Gump. Absolutely trailblazing in so many ways.

5. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans Huh?

4. La Règle du jeu Think I saw this in French. No idea what it was about even after I saw it.

3. Tokyo Story Missed this one.

2. Citizen Kane Couldn't agree more! An absolutely seminal film! Was #1 on this list for years.

1. Vertigo What a combination of directing, acting and suspense! Great choice for #1!

So, what's in your wallet, I mean, on your list?

1 comment:

  1. What is it about college that turns everyone into 'film' aficionados? I saw more than my share of Bergman films and never understood any of them. I guess I am a movie fan, not a film person. Some all-time favorites: A Thousand Clowns, Cool Hand Luke, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Silver Streak...

    ReplyDelete