Friday, March 23, 2012

Biscuit City's Poem of the Week: "Lines" by Leigh Giza

Working with a longer form than her usual haiku, Leigh animates a evocative consideration of the simple line which resonates thorough various functions and situations. The result is a realistic and yet playful poem offering finely drawn and highly polished insights  into life and love.
Lines
I like a zig-zaggy one
Stitched on a Singer sewing machine
And one stroked boldly with a black Sharpie
On a sheet of bright white paper
Looooooong ones lead to the ladies’ room
Small ones of white powder lead nowhere, fast
Fill-in-the-blank lines give me test anxiety
I'd wait in line for days to meet Robert Plant
If only he'd ask me to
Telephone lines relay words across the sky
Ebony lines rim eyes that tell lies
I slipped and fell for a few oil-slick-slippery ones
And never wanted to get back up
I’ve drawn lines in the sand
Then watched the winds of change erase them
The worst line is the border that keeps us separated
The best is one I have yet to write

1 comment: