Friday, November 23, 2012

Technology Wednesday--Keep It Simple



I got some fast food the other day for lunch, and since I had two drinks, I grabbed one of those drink carriers (pictured above). I was looking at it and thinking that sometimes the best technology is the simplest technology. The carrier is made of cardboard and molded into a form that compensates for different sized drinks. Each carrier costs 17 cents in lots of 300 (in case you want to order a bunch), although the big fast food companies probably get a price break. Somehow.

Another example of simple, effective technology is the "Disturb/Do Not Disturb" hang tag found in hotels. I'm not sure who was the first to patent this idea, but they have made a bundle off it. It's one of those inventions that you look at it, smack yourself in the head and say, "Why didn't I think of that?"

The last simple and effective form of technology I'm thinking of is the paper book. I use ebooks, and they're easy to carry around and easy to order new books on, but I still use paper books. They're a proven, centuries old technology. They're easy to mark you place, easy to take notes on in the margins and their batteries never run down. So, for now, put me down as having a foot planted firmly in the digital world and in the old school world of simple, effective technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment