Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Gift from the Parking Lot

Anne Morrow Lindbergh, wife of aviator Charles Lindbergh, was an author in her own right and penned a lovely book entitled Gift from the Sea that contained much wisdom. In the book, she wrote this:

I do not believe that sheer suffering teaches. If suffering alone taught, all the world would be wise, since everyone suffers. To suffering must be added mourning, understanding, patience, love, openness, and the willingness to remain vulnerable.”

Anne and Charles certainly knew about suffering since their infant son was kidnapped in 1932 and his body found not far from their home two months later.  The case was covered to excess, but it did result in Congress passing a law making kidnapping a federal crime.

This post has nothing to do with beautiful writing or the tragedy of kidnapping,and I know it is trivial by comparison.

Someone gave my dad and me a gift in a parking lot by coming along and creasing the upper right wheel well area on his 2007 Impala, which I drive now because he has stopped driving. Whoever did this didn't leave a note, of course.

Here's a picture of the damage:


Not a pretty sight, and since I'm cheap, I haven't taken it to a body shop which will charge more than I want to pay and less than my insurance deductible. Then I was watching television and thought I found a solution. And here it is!

Now, I was sure that since I saw it on television it would work. When it arrived, I read the directions and there are about 200 exceptions to the kind of dent the kit will take out, including "creases and lines such as fender wells."  Hmmm.

Being nothing but hopeful, I'm going to try it anyhow.  I'll let you know how it turns out.

2 comments:

  1. Dan, Your story about the car isn't funny, but the way you conveyed the exceptions to the dent kit sure made me smile! Thanks!
    Oh, and nice quote on suffering! It also helps when suffering is for the sake of another, I think!

    ReplyDelete